Starting a Project
Due to limited space on the ERAU Pressbooks Network, you must submit a request to start your project and set up your account.
To submit a request, please fill out a Project Proposal Form. A member of your library, either Hunt or Hazy, will follow up with you to discuss your project, how we can help, and basic expectations for using Pressbooks. Once a project is approved, we will work with you to set up your Pressbooks account and book in the network.
There are two options for starting a project within Pressbooks: creating a new book, or cloning an existing book.
- If you want to start a brand new project, or are importing content you've created in another form (such as a Word document), you will be using the Create a Book option.
- If you are adapting an existing OER textbook that is available in the Pressbooks Directory, you will be using the Clone a Book option.
Create a Book
In order to create a new book, you will need to decide on a few basic details:
- The book's title.
- The book's language.
- Privacy settings. We strongly recommend keeping the book private until created.
- The webbook address. Although you can modify the book's title later, you cannot change the webbook's URL.
- Webbook addresses must be at least 4 characters.
- Only numbers and letters can be used.
- URLs will start will the network name followed by the book's specific name. For example: oer.pressbooks.pub/introductiontoaerospaceflightvehicles.
- Pressbooks recommends using the book's title with no spaces for the URL.
Clone a Book
You can clone any book in the Pressbooks Directory with an open license that supports reuse and modification. This will bring a copy of the book into our catalog to be modified and adapted.
In order to clone a book, you will need:
- The URL of the book you are cloning.
- The URL you want to use for your new book.
- The new title you want to use for your modification of the book. If you don't have a title yet, it will automatically pull in the title of the source book.